Background

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Basic Pumpkin

I often like to use a very basic pattern to start a new project.  I think if you have a jumping off point, you can get creative from there and really make something your own.  With Fall and Halloween just around the corner, here is a basic pumpkin pattern.



Basic Pumpkin

Materials:
*I Hook
*Red Heart Super Saver yarn in Pumpkin and Spring Green
*Scissors
*Poly-Fill or grocery bags (of other filler material of your choice)

*Notes:
Special Stitches used: DCdec=Double Crochet Decrease
-Instructions for DCdec: YO and insert hook into stitch.  YO and pull through 1 loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  YO and insert hook into next stitch.  YO and pull through 1 loop.  YO and pull through 2 loops.  YO and pull through remaining 3 loops. 

Start with Pumpkin.
Make a Magic Circle, or Ch 4 and sl st into first chain made. Ch 2.
R1: 8 DC in center.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R2: 2 DC in each stitch.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R3: *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in following stitch* Continue to end of round.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R4: *2 DC in next stitch, 1 DC in next 2 stitches* Continue to end of round.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R5-10:DC in each stitch around.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R11-14: DCdec in next 2 stitches.  DC to end of round.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R15: Dcdec to last stitch.  DC in last stitch.  Sl st in first DC.  Fill with Poly-Fill or other filler material.
R16: Change color to Spring Green.  Ch 2.  DCdec around.  Sl st in first DC.  Ch 2.
R17: DC around.  Sl st in first DC.  Tie off and hide ends.

I used grocery bags to fill my pumpkin and I am able to pull a grocery bag out of the stem of the pumpkin.  If you do not want this small hole at the top, simply sl st across the stitches after DCing around in R17. 

6 comments:

  1. I love fall decorations. I like the idea of storing the bags in the pumpkin. It makes it a practical decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty and I love the shape of your pumpkin. It would make a wonderful autumn decoration or put a face on it for Halloween. Thanks for sharing your free pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying this one but am having trouble...the pattern doesn't state anything about a slip stitch at the end of each round, just CH2...will that really do it? All the round patterns I have ever done call for that slip stitch at the end of the round. I am getting a hump in the pumpkin where I do the decrease rounds too and don't know how to fix that...Also how big is it supposed to be when finished? Mine is a little small...I guess it looked bigger in the picture...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! Yes, there should be a slip stitch at the end of each round! D'oh! I will fix it shortly! Also, the pumpkin is only about 10 inches tall, so not really big. I think the picture does make it look a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. just crocheted this and mine is tall and skinny LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine looks nothing like a pumpkin, don't know what I did wrong :(

      Delete