Background

Monday, January 16, 2012

Fall Lace Hat

I apologize up front for not having a video for the Anthro hat.  Please understand that I am a homeschooling mother of 5 kids, with a full time working/student husband and sometimes it takes up to a week for me to get through a single Etsy order.  So, extra time just doesn't come easily to me!   I also don't have a working digital camera anymore, so I am struggling with figuring out how to get someone to sit still long enough with me to record it with something else.  I tell ya, it's been an eventful few weeks!

Anyway, let's get on to the fun stuff!

Remember the Fall Lace Scarf I posted back in September?  It was a big hit!  It works up quickly and easily and is made with a beautiful yarn!  I sold a few in the Etsy Shop and have received a special request order for a hat to go with the scarf.  Of course, I obliged, and here is what I've come up with! 




I know it's winter now (the snow we had this weekend proves it!), but I kept the names similar so that you easily find the matching set.  

As you can see, the stitch pattern is the same, but now we're working in rounds to create a beanie style hat.  I tried to get a couple of different angles so you can see how the lace looks with the hat on.  Have you ever taken a picture of the top of your head?  Awkward!  :)

My pattern testers (an awesome group of ladies who devoted some time to this pattern last week!) have all come back saying that the hat turned out a little small for them.  It seems like some people said the hat fit for an adult, some said it fit their teens/preteens and one person even said it barely fit her 5 year old!  My apologies for not measuring the gauge as I made the hat.  I'm new to writing patterns for the public and have never paid much attention to gauge before.  I just created what came to mind.  So, I will have to look into that and implement it in the future!  Also, I think that I may stitch a bit looser than some others.  So, for my petite adult head, this pattern worked just fine, but you may want to adjust depending on how tightly you stitch.  I'd recommend adding additional rounds to enlarge the hat.  I will point out where to do that in the pattern.  With that said, here's the pattern.

Fall Lace Hat

Materials:
* H Hook
* Caron Simply Soft yarn in Garnet or Autumn Red (both are beautiful reds, and I've seen that most stores either carry one or the other but rarely both.)

Please Note:
Where the joins occur changes in this pattern!  In some rounds it is in the middle of a chain 3 and in some rounds it is at the top of a stitch.  Pay close attention to the join instructions because this makes up the lace pattern!

Begin with Magic Circle or Ch 4 and join with sl st.
R1: Ch 3. 8 DC in circle.  Join with sl st in top of first DC.
R2: Ch 4 (counts as DC, ch1).  1 DC in same space.  *1 DC, ch 1, 1 DC* in each space around.  Join with sl st in 3rd chain of chain 4.
R3: Sl st and ch 4 (counts as DC, ch 1). 1 DC in same space.  *1 DC, ch1, 1 DC* in each space around.  Join with sl st in 3rd chain of ch 4.
R4: Ch 3 (counts as DC).  1 DC in same space.  2 DC in each ch 1 space around.  Join with sl st in top of ch 3.
If you need to increase the size of the hat, you'll need to repeat rounds 3 and 4 to the appropriate size for the person you are creating the hat for.
R5: Sl st in next stitch.  Sl st in space between the posts of the next 2 DC's of previous round.  Ch 4 (counts as DC, ch 1).  1 DC in same space.  *Skip 1 space.  1 DC, ch 1, 1 DC in next space.*  Repeat around.  Join with sl st in 3rd chain of ch 4.
R6: Sl st in ch 1 space.  Ch 3 (counts as DC).  2 DC in same space.  Ch 1.  *3 DC, ch 1* in each ch 1 space around.  Join with sl st in top of ch 3. 
R7: Sl st to the first ch 1 sp.  Ch 4 (counts as DC, ch 1).  DC in same space.  Ch 1.  *Skip 3 st, DC ch1, DC in same stitch.  Ch 1*  Repeat around.  Join with sl st in 3rd chain of ch 4. 
R8: Sl st in 1st ch1 space.  Ch 3 (counts as DC).  2 DC in same space.  *Skip 1 ch space.  3 DC in ch 1.* Repeat around.  Join with sl st in top of ch 3.
R9: Skip first 2 stitches.  Sl st in next stitch (middle DC of 3 DC cluster of previous row).  Ch 4 (counts as DC, ch 1).  1 DC in same stitch.  Skip 2 stitches.  *1 DC, ch 1, 1 DC in next stitch (middle DC of next 3 DC cluster)*.  Repeat to end.  Join with sl st in 3rd chain of ch 4.
R10-R17: Repeat rounds 8 & 9.  Tie off to finish and hide ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment